Did you know that May is National Skin Cancer Awareness Month? Here at South Coast Plastic Surgery in Irvine, California, we’re celebrating by offering 20% off on all Elta MD skincare sunscreens – as well as providing our clients with the best summer skincare routines!
You shouldn’t have to hide from the sun to keep your skin safe. But unfortunately, skin cancer is still on the rise. In fact, more cases of skin cancer are diagnosed each year than breast, prostate, lung, and colon cancers combined. One in five Americans will develop skin cancer in their lives, meaning it’s more important than ever for people to understand how to prevent skin cancer.
With that in mind, let’s take a look at your best summer skincare routine – the kind that makes you glow while lowering your skin cancer risks!
- Stay in the shade between the hours of 10AM and 4PM. This is when the sun is at its most powerful, meaning your chances of getting a sunburn are significantly increased.
- Wear sunscreen throughout the day, even if you’re not going outside. Make sure your sunscreen has an SPF of at least 30 – 15 SPF just doesn’t cut it anymore.
- Cover up with clothing whenever you’re outside. Bonus points if you’re wearing clothing that offers UPF protection.
- Apply sunscreen every two hours – and more if you’re swimming, sweating, or exercising. Even the most sweat-proof or waterproof sunscreen can’t stand up to ocean waves or a rigorous volleyball game.
- Apply sunscreen at least 30 minutes before going outside. Doing so ensures that your sunscreen is activated by the time you’re out in the summer sun.
- Keep newborns and young children out of the sun. If you’re going to the beach, bring a tent for shade. If you’re going for a walk, drape a blanket over the stroller to provide shade from the sun.
- Check your skin every month for new or changing moles and skin lesions. If you see any, make an appointment with a dermatologist right away.
For more information on how to protect your skin during the summer – or to enjoy our 20% off sale on Elta MD sunscreens! – visit South Coast Plastic Surgery in Irvine today. Call (949)701-4454 to learn more.
South Coast Plastic Surgery serves the greater Orange County area.